Saturday, September 20, 2008

Our first outing

Last Saturday, we decided to take our first road trip with Max. My parents were here, so we had back-up. Plus, we'd wanted them to visit Mystic Seaport. Those of you who read the blog regularly may recall that Garrett and I went this winter when it was c-c-c-cold and we still enjoyed it.

So, we braved the road with a one week old, a diaper bag, and a breast pump. The diaper bag held no fewer than 7 diapers, 2 pacifiers, 2 blankets, and 3 outfits. I felt successful that we came back with one fresh article of clothing. Let me point out that every outfit Max wore had a nautical print in honor of his first trip to the ocean. We are nothing if not thematic.

Before we left, I insisted on getting my picture made with Max in his cute--if rather large--outfit because I figured it wouldn't stay clean for long. It didn't. Promptly after this photo was taken, he puked. Good thing it was reversible.

All of the buildings at Mystic Seaport were hauled in from real whaling villages to create an authentic 19th century whaling port. Below, my parents are with Max in front of one of the churches.
You can see one of the ships in the distance behind Garrett, Max and me. For anyone interested in learning how to build your own boat or being a shipmate, they offer camps. I wouldn't want to do it at all. But, hey, whatever floats your boat...

On the left is a cordage, which is a building where they make rope. On the right are a bunch of little dinghies. The lighthouse is pretty, don't you think? My mom spotted it. I didn't even notice it the first time we were there.

Once we finally located batteries, I spent an unspeakable amount of time in the ladies' room trying to master the stupid pump. I've never felt more akin to livestock. All the while people were walking in and out. I was covered with a sweatshirt, so don't think I was like some tribal woman on National Geographic. I wasn't the only freak show in there, either. One woman brought her son in and put him on the changing table. I swear he was four years old and practically crawled up there by himself. And he was sucking on a lollipop.

At least I was standing by a window. Outside I could see Garrett changing Max again:

Right outside the bathroom door was this photo op:
Another good photo op would have been of me when I decided to go back into the bathroom to actually use the facilities. When I entered, I thought it looked different, but since I'm easily geographically confused except in malls I didn't think anything of it. Until I saw the urinals. I knew they weren't water fountains, so I promptly left. Later, a man walked by with a big grin on his face. He and his pals were laughing at me. I can't remember what he said, but I do remember he had totally seen me. He was friendly enough. And, really, when you might have baby poop and spilled milk on you in a public place, who can get embarrassed about a little thing like going in the wrong bathroom?

Not far from Mystic Seaport is Stonington. Garrett loves this little point where you can go out and see the ocean. As you can see, it was a beautiful sunset.
After we were home, we felt like we'd really accomplished something. We managed to eat lunch and dinner at restaurants as well as go sightseeing. Max was a perfect little gentleman.

No comments: