Monday, September 15, 2008

Hurricanes in NJ?

In desperation last week, I called the lactation helpline at Valley Hospital. After talking to the consultant, she said I needed to send my husband right away to pick up a breast pump. I wanted to wait at least two weeks before bottle feeding or pumping, but I was so tired and upset and Max was so frustrated and hungry that I would have done anything for some peace.

Like most of the staff at Valley, the consultant was helpful and friendly. She said Garrett needed to hurry because a hurricane was coming.

"A hurricane?"

"Yes, it's headed this way."

Those of you who know me realize I'm geographically challenged. I was trying to picture just how close we were to the coastline and it didn't make sense in my head. I couldn't imagine waves crashing near my doorstep.

I said, "We just moved to New Jersey in January. Are there precautions we should be taking?"

The woman said, "Yes. Be sure you prepare for flooding and batton everything down to prepare for the high winds."

"How high?"

"They're saying 20 miles per hour."

I think I might have laughed aloud. A 20 mph hurricane isn't impressive compared to Oklahoma tornadoes.

You know what was impressive? The breast pump.

No comments: