Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Influences In Utero

I've been thinking.

And worrying.

My friend Alison has a thing for sharks. Her mother watched Jaws and went into labor.

I am rather fond of snakes. I mean, I don't want them hiding in my pillowcase or anything, but I don't freak out the way many people do. Before I was born, my family was fishing and either my brother or dad reeled in a snake. They claim that's when my mom went into labor with me.

So...I'm a bit concerned.

I avoid scary movies, books, etc. They give me horrible nightmares. For some reason, though, I am consumed with my affection for the television show Dexter. For those of you who aren't familiar with it, the protagonist is a serial killer--who only murders bad guys. (Perhaps this is why I can watch the show: I feel fairly safe from the killer.) We Netflix them and had a marathon going before Max was born.

What was I thinking?

How will this affect him?

Maybe he'll be interested in forensics. Okay, I can handle that possibility. Of course, I was actually trying to make breakfast when I went into labor. Maybe he'll be fascinated with food. Or maybe he'll combine the two and be a butcher.

Why couldn't I have been obsessed with something completely wholesome at this time?!

1 comment:

Tiffany Cooper said...

Interesting. I also watched Dexter while pregnant with Case. We don't get Showtime so I'm hoping it will come on CBS again---doubtful though.
And about the snakes. I really don't like them. I've progressed from terrified to frightened though. We had the tiniest snake on our patio last week. We were eating dinner outside and the kids thought it was so cool to watch the snake slither around. I kept my feet up on my chair, especially when Herbert said WHERE THERE'S A BABY THERE'S A MOMMY :) Very funny dear.
I love reading your posts and hearing about the exciting life of Max.