Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Labor Day

I woke up on September 1 after one of the best night's sleep in a long time. It was after 9 when I walked into the living room and announced, "If Max decides to come today, that's fine with me. I feel great." Plus, we had his nursery ready.

Within the hour, my water broke. He's such a good listener.

1:30
we were checked into the hospital.
3:30
I was given Pitocin because my contractions weren't intense enough. The monitor showed they were occuring, but I couldn't tell. I still doubted I really was in labor.
around 10:00
the doctor came by after they'd ramped me up to the highest dose of Pitocin. I knew I was having contractions, but they weren't imressing me.
around 11:00
the doctor had gone and the contractions were impressing me. I made it to 11:10 and decided an epidural was probably a good idea since they supposedly took an hour to get the doc there and the medicine to kick in.
midnight
epidural was complete. Modern science is amazing. My mom, Garrett and I went to sleep only to be interrupted by the nurse checking us.
5:30 AM, September 2
I woke up and called the nursing station because I thought my epidural was wearing off. When they came in, they assured me it was not and called the doctor immediately. Max was ready to arrive and I'd slept through the hard part. Did I mention that modern science is amazing?
6:26 AM, September 2, 2008
Maximus Luke Barnett arrived weighing 6 pounds 10 ounces and measuring 20 inches long.

Here's a closeup of father and son:
Here's a pic of his little tootsies--10 little toes:

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

He is so cute. I cant wait to get to see him in person. I love the picture of his feet.

Tiffany Cooper said...

What a beautiful boy...his face doesn't even have post delivery weirdness :) I really like the pic of Max and Garrett b/c you can see his features clearly. You are blessed. I am so excited to read about how he develops and the experiences you share as a family.
Congrats to you!

Anonymous said...

Oh, he is so perfect and beautiful. I couldn't wait to see his face! Glad things went well for you both. Good job to the coaches too. What a little miracle he is. Congratulations.

Anonymous said...

OH..I am soo excited to see pictures, I kept checking your blog everyday to see if you had posted! You and Garrett are going to be wonderful parents. I love the picture of your mom and Max, she is such a beautiful lady and Max is a cute little guy! Take Care.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful- absolutely precioius.

Congrats to you both, :)

All smiles,

Caitlin