Sunday, May 18, 2008

Wednesday, May 14--23 weeks!

I took the bus into the city today to see my friend Stephanie and a show. The beautiful day and fun activities made up for the beginning of the journey. The smells of the perfume in the magazine I was reading and the guy sitting beside me combined with the stop and start motion of the bus to make me wonder if I would have to use my purse as a barf bag. Nausea, be gone!

Once in the city, though, it was a perfect and gorgeous day. We ate lunch alfresco at a little French restaurant. Then we went to a show called Perfect Crime. It's the longest running drama in Broadway history. According to the program, Catherine Russell, the lead, has missed only four shows in 20 years. (We speculated that she must be either one dedicated or incredibly lonely woman.) The show was a good mystery. Max and I didn't exactly like the gunshots much--he jumped around a lot! The men in the show were all impressive. The show is at the tiny Snapple Theatre. It's a cozy, and worthwhile experience.

After the play we went to a bridal boutique. Stephanie is marrying a super-nice guy on 8-8-08 in Paris. Unfortunately, we won't be able to attend because it's only a month from our due date. Still, it was fun to get to help her with her wedding dress. It was one of those afternoons that made me thankful we moved here.

While at the boutique, we observed a bride-to-be having a horrific problem with sizing a dress for her August wedding. Apparently, she'd selected a mermaid style gown several months before. At some point during the engagement she got pregnant. She's currently three months along and one of her breasts alone equaled the size of my belly. She was huge. They were trying to find a different gown and order it in the right size to fit her. None of her friends or family could go with her that day, so Stephanie and I befriended her. My heart hurt for the girl. She was such a sweet thing. Getting married and having a baby should be joyous occasions. I feel so bad for her that the two are getting crammed together with one tainting the pleasure of the other. I hope she has a lovely day.

As for me, I was officially 23 weeks that day. The people at the bridal shop didn't even notice I was pregnant until it came out in conversation. I guess they thought I was just built funny. Hmmm. I'm not really sure how to take that.

No comments: