Wednesday, May 7, 2008

A Time to Mourn a Sweet Life

I was touched this morning to read that the co-founder of Baskin Robbins ice cream died. He is known for creating such ice cream flavors as Rocky Road, my favorite.

Rocky Road on a sugar cone--now called a junior cone-- from Braum's is my favorite. In high school, I purchased one almost daily. After every play rehearsal or cheerleading practice, I'd head to Braum's. I'd pull up to the drive-through in my big, black supercab, propane-powered pick-up truck. They recognized my voice. If I walked in the door, they'd have it scooped for me by the time I hit the register with my 96 cents.

My passion for the tasty treat began in the first grade. My mom went to England for ten days. While she was away, my dad decided to quit smoking. And this time, his attempt worked. Each day he'd take my brother and me to Braum's. Perhaps it was his reward for getting through the day cigarette-free, but I simply remember it as a good time. I can still see the orange, pink, and brown decor that once filled every store. Each day, I'd order a Rocky Road on a sugar cone.

My freshman year at college, they stopped serving sugar cones and decided to give those huge waffle cones instead. One lady in Norman, OK, tried to argue with me that they'd never sold sugar cones. Puh-lease! I knew what I was talking about. She must have been new. Or an alien. I marched over to the section where cones were sold, grabbed a box that clearly shouted "sugar cones," placed them on the counter and said, "I'd like to buy these and have you stick a scoop of ice cream on top of one of them." She did. Now, they call them junior cones, so I know what to get.

Another year, Braum's briefly changed the way they made their fries. I'd like to think that my letter to the company influenced them to go back to their yummy waffle fries. After all, they did ask if they could use my letter in marketing.

Still, I wonder if my passion for Braum's would be the same if it weren't for Irvine Robbins who created Rocky Road. Thank you, Mr. Robbins, for living the sweet life and sharing it with so many.

1 comment:

Tiffany Cooper said...

Like you, I am a huge rocky road fan. It's the best. We make frequent family trips to Braum's on Sunday nights for ice cream. We pack the family up in the car and drive around while I eat my double scoop rocky road and the rest enjoy their shakes.