Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Still okay

We went to our second doctor's appointment of the week today. We heard the heartbeat again, which is always a treat. They measured my belly for the first time. Pretty weird. Progress!

I ask lots of questions. I'm pretty sure I embarrass Garrett because of them.

One thing that concerned me was the size of the baby. At 19 weeks, they said the baby was 11 ounces. In the baby books, it said he was supposed to be considerably smaller. When I asked the doc about it today, he said, "That's a big baby." We'll see if gestational diabetes is involved when I go in for the test on June 4. Fingers crossed. Both of my parents said that my brother and I were big babies and that they were, too, so maybe that's all it is. Hope so. As for me, I've already gained almost 20 pounds. Yeah, that's right TWENTY pounds.

Another thing from the books that has disturbed me is that they say to sleep on your left side, not on your back. Well, when I sleep on my left side I wake up in pain. Apparently, my sciatic nerve is A-OK until I try to follow baby book instructions, then it sends electric jolts of pain through my body. Anyway, both doctors this week have told me to sleep however I like. "If you're comfortable, then baby is comfortable." That's such a relief.

I can't believe what a nervous Nelly pregnancy makes me!

No comments: