Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Xanadu

Xanadu is an un-apologetically over-the-top show that's goal is to entertain.

And it succeeds!


My former student and all-around special girl Caitlin was visiting the city this week, so we got together to catch up. At TKTS, we scored third row tickets! Then, we went to Starbuck's. (I don't feel like my tall chai frappuccino is so bad for Max now that I know it only has 45 mg of caffeine.)

Then, I took her to Ellen's Stardust Diner because it's the perfect location for theater lovers because the waiters sing and dance. Imagine the diner in Pulp Fiction where the actors dance. The diner was having some sort of Elvis celebration there with a couple of singing Elvises. So, of course, we ordered the peanut butter, banana, and jelly sandwich. Yum.

My friend Colleen promised me that I would love Xanadu because it was so absurd and self-effacing. She was right. When I learned Whoopi Goldberg was in it for a month I really wanted to see it.

Below is Kerry Butler, the star of the show.
If you look hard, you can see Whoopi on the left and Cheyenne Jackson, the male lead, signing autographs. Whoopi was very gracious.
It is a silly diversion that only lasts 90 minutes! Pegasus resembles a carousel horse. Actors wear roller skates, leg warmers, spandex under shorts, as well as garb of ancient Greeks. Plus, 2 of the 9 muses are played by guys. Curtis Holbrook was one of these sisters, and he was so funny I had to make myself stop watching only him.

Obviously, Xanadu doesn't take itself seriously. Which makes it work. Unlike other shows on Broadway, you're so busy laughing that you never have the urge to look at your watch.

No comments: