Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Movies

The Bucket List
G's opinion: 4 of 5 stars. The story was fantastic. Everyone needs to be reminded how short life life really is. They need to live for the moment because in a very short, few moments, their lives will be over. The only criticism I have of the movie is that the special effects, at times, seemed fake.
B's opinion: 3 1/2 of 5 stars. It compelled me in the same way a Nicholas Sparks' book does. I continue with the story even though I know how it ends, there are no surprises, and nothing is told in a new way. Still, the cast was terrific and there are some nice exchanges between Morgan Freeman and Jack Nicholson. Plus, it was nice to see the man who played Jack from Will and Grace in a different role. Oh, and I thought it was making a negative commentary on the rich vs. poor and sharing hospital rooms...but it actually showed it in a positive light. So, I guess that was one unexpected twist--although it was made pretty evident at the beginning of the movie.

The Other Boleyn Girl
G's opinion: 2 of 5 stars. Nothing worse than a historically inaccurate movie done poorly.
B's opinion: 1 of 5 stars. What a disappointment! The book--and history itself--was soooo much better. The film merely touched on the political, familial and religious strains of the times, leaving the film little more than a prettily costumed Hollywood love story. I hate that Anne and Henry were portrayed as so one dimensional. C'mon, Elizabeth I received her good genes from two strong leaders who followed the wrong motivations along the way. All three of them changed the world forever. I don't know if the fault lies in the screenplay adaptation or the actors themselves. It's a sad, sad day in cinema.

No comments: