Sunday, August 10, 2008

Lamaze Day 2

Garrett thinks that the Lamaze course should be retitled What to Expect When You're Expecting. I agree. We rather expected to learn only about "breathing" and to be verbally crucified if we wanted anything beyond "normal" childbirth, which is what most of us call "natural" childbirth. You know, the kind with no medical intervention or painkillers where women suffer and in generations past... died.

On the contrary, the second day was spent mostly discussing medical interventions. She passed around doodads and gadgets. Some aren't that scary but other we hope won't have to be used. For example, did you know that sometimes they monitor the baby internally during labor by hooking a thing to the top of its head while baby is still inside you? I kid you not. Remember sewing your fingers together as a kid? It sort of works under that premise--except I think the doc goes by feel and can't see what he or she is doing. Sure, if something major happens and they have to do it, I'm not going to deny modern science; however, we're keeping our fingers and toes crossed that this particular advancement in science won't be required!

As naive as we are, we also learned that the epidural stays in your back the whole time. I thought it was sort of a one shot deal. Plus, they don't go into your spine like they once did with a "spinal." Cool. Juice me up. In our research, we'd learned that women who get an epidural too soon often have an increased requirement of c-sections, but the class taught us that if you go until 4-5 cm all should be well.

Garrett finally learned that a c-section is traumatic. He didn't understand why I didn't want one until yesterday. He thought it was just a little easy cut and out comes the baby. Now he understands that it is major surgery. I, on the other hand, feel a little better about it if I actually have to have one. Until yesterday, I thought they cut through the stomach muscles. Apparently, they separate it. Still...ew.

Someone cited a fact that the World Health Organization believes only 10-15% of moms require c-sections in industrialized nations, but in the U.S. it's 31%. Although the modern media likes to act like it's moms who don't want to be inconvenienced with an unexpected arrival, only 2% of those are at mother's request. We discussed the whole campaign this area has had for a while called "Too Posh to Push." Perhaps my personal campaign would be "Too Queasy for Cutting."

Don't get me wrong. We, obviously, believe in the miracles of modern science, but I don't want them forced on me. Although I've passed them up after other surgeries, I have no problems with painkillers during childbirth. Garrett shared some story a guy told him at work about a woman who championed "normal" childbirth and gripped the bed so tightly she ripped the tendons in her hands and had to have physical therapy. Many months later, she still hasn't recovered.

We look forward to welcoming Max into the world. I don't feel compelled to be a hero. Feeding him will get him to think that anyway, right?

No comments: