Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Alfred Hitchcock's The 39 Steps

My mom's birthday was last Monday. She arrived here on Tuesday. On Wednesday, I took her into the city to celebrate her birthday.
We watched The 39 Steps, which is rife with verbal and visual allusions to Alfred Hitchcock's movies. Just as he made an appearance in all of his films, his silhouette even slipped into the play. I knew it would be good, but I hadn't anticipated how funny it would be. The actor's capacity for physical comedy was impressive. Three men and one woman performed a large cast of character. In one scene five characters had a conversation played by only two men. One of the guys had a hat on his head and a hat in each hand that he switched for each persona. Hilarious.

Note if you're planning a trip to NYC: It's hard to know Broadway performances some men will like, but this one can be enjoyed by even the most theater-reluctant.
Before the show we ate at our favorite restaurant Langan's. I ordered the Maryland crabcakes and she ordered the porkchops. We split them and they were divine. After the show we stopped by Maxi's (I think that's the name of it) for dessert--crepes--before getting on the train. I hope she enjoyed her birthday treat as much as I did!

No comments: