Monday, June 16, 2008

The interview

Being on the news last Thursday was an experience. I couldn't believe how nervous I was. (For those of you who watched, you probably heard my voice quiver on the second sentence.)Encouraging emails from friends bolstered my spirits. Knowing nice people were out there watching helped me gain courage. Thank you! Everyone we encountered at News 6 was kind, too. It seemed like a fun place to work.

On the way there, I practiced with Garrett different possible questions. Prior to that, my mom "interviewed" me as well. (Yes, I know, they're indulgent.) Of course, none of us anticipated the actual questions. Plus, I was thrown off when they realized they'd misplaced the cover to Glamour. Maybe they'll have me back in November to talk about the book since most of it was promoting the writing workshop this weekend, which, by the way, is still open for registration.

After all was said and done, I was in the building no longer than 15 minutes. Garrett and I checked in, and they let us through the door. Next thing I knew we were sitting in the studio. Beside me was a lady wearing a major set of headphones, and a few feet in front of us was a woman working the computer and teleprompter. On an elevated stage sat Glenda Silvey and a doctor answering telephone questions.

A few moments later, the smiling camera man rushed to me and said, "You're up next." Agh! He led me to the stage and clipped a microphone to my sweater. Glenda told me they were going to ask me a bit about being a writer and the workshop. My head was still spinning when she asked the first question...live.

The experience was worth repeating. If there is a next time, I'll know more what to expect!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I saw it and you did great! I'm confident you'll get to do it again.

Okies in Joisey said...

Thanks! It was fun. I can't imagine how nervous people are before they go on Oprah!