Wednesday, June 4, 2008

The difference between NYC and NJ

I look pregnant. Really pregnant.

I know this because three people in the last week have congratulated me, asked my due date, etc. Also, many people look at my belly and give a little smile. I love this new experience. It's like kind strangers are wishing our little Max well. Plus, I no longer fall into the questionable category of pregnant vs. fat. I look as pregnant as I am!

Which is good since I'm 6 months along.

And you'd think it would have perks on public transportation.

However, I've learned an ugly fact about where I live.

In New York City, people notice I'm pregnant and open doors or offer seats on the subway.

On NJ transit, I stand in the aisle of the train while people look at my belly, look me in the eyes and then--I kid you not--close their eyes and snuggle back into their cozy train seats. This is while I'm standing, uncomfortable and thirsty, waiting for fifteen minutes on a delayed train before our fifteen minute ride even begins. (Thank goodness there are usually seats available for the 45 minute connecting ride!)

I know what you're thinking. She's had one bad experience. NO.

I didn't mention the attitudes at first. Now there is an established pattern. It wouldn't be so bad if the meanies weren't so blatant and smug about being comfy while they know I'm not. And, I know it sounds presumptuous of me to expect a person to be polite to a pregnant or elderly person, but that's what our society is supposed to do, right?

So, whose mama taught 'em right? NYC or NJ? Draw your own conclusions.

No comments: