Monday, February 23, 2009

Max's first daffodil

Uncle James and Aunt Martha gave Max his first flower. It's a good thing the daffodils growing outside the office were hardy; otherwise, it wouldn't have lasted for the pictures. Max really studied his new toy in all the ways a baby does...he mauled it, chewed it and beat it...and the flower still looked happy.
My mom encouraged Max to smell it. The flower fit nicely around his nose. Being a first time mother, I expressed concern about pollen and allergies.

This was the wrong thing to say in front of my aunt and uncle who promptly started teasing me.

They started offering Max the suckers we have in the office for customers. I said my little bit about how I don't want him having sugar until his first birthday. I was serious, of course. Everyone else just laughed.

Uncle James asked if I've fed him mashed potatoes or gravy.

No. He's only received jarred baby food--organic mostly.

He said, "Flour gravy has saved more lives than the Red Cross."

Well, who can argue with that?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is no secret that I agree with James (my father-in-law). He has lived through many different feeding trends and has realized that when you have nothing else, you can always make gravy! lol. I do understand being cautious though. I was for the first two weeks of my firstborn. Only two weeks because that is how old she was when her poppi (James) fed her grape jelly! I was scared at first and then saw how much she liked it, and noticed that she was fine. I also realized I didn't stand a chance...he had her hooked.

Lisa Calico

Okies in Joisey said...

I know. I know. Friends and family have been great at indulging us, especially me. Everyone mutters, "First time mother," and goes along.