Friday, January 2, 2009

Happy New Year!

I've always said 2008 was two-thousand-great. How could 2009 compete?

We flew in on New Year's Eve and went straight to Max's doctor. He hadn't slept well for the two weeks we were in Oklahoma, which meant we hadn't slept well either. I spent most nights rocking him in my dad's armchair. He developed a rash on his chest and back that grew as red as Rudolph's nose. On the last day his nose started running. We stayed in Tulsa since our plane left at 7 in the morning, and we had maybe two hours total sleep that night.

The little guy cried and cried. He doesn't cry unless something is wrong.

So, we took him to the doctor where they gave him an antibiotic and Nystatin. Why the antibiotic? They claimed they didn't know what was wrong with him, so they gave him both. Hmmm. We didn't like that much.

Quick aside: After consulting other medical professionals (online and otherwise)...and knowing that 99% of the antibiotic gushed onto his bib but the rash is disappearing from the ointment, we've decided to discontinue the antibiotic and continue the ointment.

Since I do nights better than mornings, I volunteered to take the shift until midnight with Max so that Garrett could sleep. He hit the sheets around 6 and woke up about Max's bedtime to offer help. I shooed him off because I was determined to kick his butt out of bed if Max whimpered after midnight. Max slept much better in his own crib than a Pack and Play. The evening went fairly well, and I was asleep when 2008 faded into history.

After the morning feeding and cleaning rituals, I was about to drop. I told Garrett, "Okay. Now your turn. I'm going to go to bed and try to get some sleep."

He nodded. "You should." He gripped the side of the crib. "There's just one thing...I think I'm going to throw up."

And he did.

All day.

Happy flippin' new year.

I hope it improves.

No comments: