Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Bad mommy?

Our pediatrician's office has a call-in hour six days a week so that we can ask questions without making an appointment. I had a list of them when I called. The response to one of them upset me.

Me: I read last night that exclusively breastfed babies are supposed to receive vitamin D supplements at 2 months. Max is almost 3 months. Am I supposed to be giving him vitamins?

Dr.: Is he exclusively breastfed?

Me: Yes.

Dr.: (silence) I'm sure your doctor told you at the two-week appointment. You were probably overwhelmed and didn't remember. Don't worry.

Um...seriously? Yes, I was overwhelmed. No, she didn't tell me. How do I know? Because I wasn't the only one in the room. Garrett was there, too. Plus, I took copious notes. Nothing there about vitamins. Nothing about vitamins in past visits either.

When I asked the pharmacist for the vitamin, another one joined our conversation. They were clearly appalled that I'd not given him vitamins prior to now. Apparently, vitamin D isn't the only deficiency. A and C are also concerns.

So, if Max develops a strange bone disease, bad eyes and scurvy, we'll know why.

4 comments:

FaithFamilyFriends5 said...

What? Never heard that before. I didn't nurse any of mine very long, but was never told to give them a vitamin supplement. Hmmmmm...if you're a bad mom, then I'm in your club.

Okies in Joisey said...

Thanks! Garrett said he thought I was going to cry while I was at the pharmacy...not because I was sad, but because I was so angry.

It's good to know that not everyone does the vitamin thing and still has healthy kids.

Tiffany Cooper said...

Yeah...I'm with FaithFamlyFriends5 b/c I have NEVER heard of this either! I exclusively breastfed all 4 and have never heard or read about this. Could Oklahoma be that far behind??? Hmmm.
If it makes you feel better---all four of my kids are healthy.
Max will be just great!

Okies in Joisey said...

Thanks for the reassurance. I feel much better now. By the way, I love the new family picture!