Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Washington DC on the way

We drove to Washington DC on Friday. We'd heard it takes about 3 1/2 hours.

That's such a lie.

Especially with a baby.

We arrived over 7 hours after our departure.

Garrett had racked up Marriott points over the years and we decided this weekend was a good time to cash them in. Here's Max in his first hotel room. He made himself right at home.

We signed up for the hotel near the Navy Yard. That's the Navy Yard in the background. We took this picture on our walk to dinner that night.

Now, I'd heard that this area was not known for being the safest, so I did my research. I read reviews online. I emailed my cousin Kent, who lives in Alexandria and asked him about it. Like the information I found online, Kent said that the area was experiencing a revival and was supposed to be fairly safe now. It's where the new baseball stadium is. If anyone plans to go to a game, I highly recommend staying at this hotel because you are right by the stadium and just a block away from the Metro. Plus, the people there are all really nice.
When we checked in, we asked about a place to eat dinner--because, yes, it was dinner time, not lunch time, as we had anticipated. The guy at the front desk recommended a place a short walk away. I asked him if the area was safe. He looked at me seriously and said, "No. I was mugged two nights ago." Then he laughed and laughed and laughed. He assured us police patrolled the area and it was well lit.

He was right.

We saw several officers on our way to dinner. One of them had pulled over a convertible driven by a chipper, pony-tailed blond. The two young ladies in the car were chatting him up. I think their crime might have been being too cute.

We also saw military guards. Not only did we pass the Navy Yard, but we also walked by a Marine base. Uniformed marines were on each corner. I felt very safe. Plus, a uniformed military guy usually adds to the scenery, and this was no exception.

At the restaurant, we sat outside right by the sidewalk. The staff kindly and quickly offered us hot water when I stood to locate the bathroom to warm a bottle for Max. The food wasn't bad, either.

The man at the table next to us held court. The staff seemed to know and revere him. Suited men on the sidewalk paused to shake hands with him and offer their services if he ever needed anything. Even when Garrett and I juggled Max and our dinner, he observed it all in stride as he sipped a martini. Later, I caught him making goo-goo eyes at Max. Then, he correctly guessed Max's age and weight. When I mentioned that I hoped we weren't disturbing his dinner because of (a teeny-tiny, short-lived bout of) fussiness, he told me never to apologize for a child because he was perfect. There was something about the way he spoke to us and held himself that made me understand why people reacted to him the way they did. I'd love to know who he is.

No comments: