Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Getting strong now...

When Garrett called him Britney Spears last week, I should have clued in. Some of Max's shirts no longer covered his tummy and his belly button peeked out at us. It seems that with each grin another chin or dimple appears. He looks different every morning.

But I was in denial. Then again, I was in denial about being in labor until the nurse wouldn't let me leave the hospital, but that's another story.

Yesterday's visit to the doctor made me believe he was really growing. The doctor and nurse seemed surprised he was so big. When Garrett and I read the week-by-week book last night, we noticed that a baby born weighing a pound more than Max's birth weight doesn't reach Max's current weight for another few weeks. Geez. At this rate, we'll have to grow our own food just to support his eating habits once he starts on solids!

His growth really hit me today, though. When I set him in his bouncy seat, his legs dangled over the sides. Yes, over the sides. Then when I changed his outfit, he gave me his arms and shoved them through each armhole. I thought, No way. He doesn't have control of his limbs yet. Then when I placed him on his play mat, he looked at two of the toys with faces and stuck his tongue out. (This game is one we've played with him since we were in the hospital. We go back and forth sticking our tongues out.) Obviously, the toys didn't respond like Garrett and I do, but he realized they rattled. So, he batted them to make them rattle. Later, we had tummy time where I placed a boppy on my tummy and him on top of it. He did a little push up and lifted his head and looked all around. He's done this before, but today he kept his head up and seemed to like what he saw. Eventually, he grew tired of his workout and wanted me to feed him. Again.

Our boy is growing and developing! I keep hearing the Rocky theme song in my head.

No comments: