Sunday, January 20, 2008

Saturday January 19 Solo in Manhattan

Ah Saturday, I arose around 0800; a fairly normal hour for a Saturday. Brandi had flown back to Oklahoma just two days prior and I would be spending this weekend by myself. I had yet to decide what adventure was awaiting me, but I was determined to live up to the promise that I made to myself to have a new adventure every weekend for the remainder of the year. Several possibilities had crossed my mind: Atlantic City, Connecticut, Phillie but today I was solo and I did not want to venture some place completely new without Brandi. Therefore I decided to spend the afternoon in NYC. First, I ventured off to The Gym for some treadmill time and more importantly a shower. I know Brandi has previously raved about their showers, and she is not kidding. Since I have lived in our apartment I have showered there twice, always opting to drive to The Gym instead. I am always amazed that every member of The Gym pays $100 per month and that place is packed. I counted them; there are 70 treadmills, bikes and ellipticals, and they were all full. You would have thought that people were getting paid to come instead of the other way around. Maybe the Lamborghini I parked next to has something to do with it.

After my workout and shower, I made my way to catch the 1133 train to the city. The first portion of the ride was uneventful; however, Secaucus my connecting train was packed. I mean packed to the point where there was almost no standing room. Glad it was a short trip. Once in the city I found a Coffee shop I had been searching for called the Edison Cafe. It is on 47 between 5th and 6th and had decent coffee. Zagat gave it a medium rating and I tend to agree, at least as far as the coffee is concerned. I sat next to a couple from Dallas who had flown to NYC on a whim for her 40th birthday. From there I made my way up to central park. I watched the people ice skate, and then I climbed in the rocks and stopped to send some e-mail. I really understand why people love New York City. It is so full of life and is not boring. --G

No comments: