Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Namaste

I haven't exercised since February of 2008.

Seriously.

The last time I attempted to exercise was a yoga class. The next day I ended up in the emergency room and the doctors told me to stop exercising--and pretty much everything else--to preserve my pregnancy.

So I did.

I followed the doctors' advice so well that Max is almost 9 months old, and I still hadn't exercised...until last night.

I arrived early and freaked out a bit. Svelte bodies in fashionable yoga attire stretched, chatted, and basically looked fit.The instructor said, "Tonight is hard."

"Okay."

She eyed me. "I have a beginner's class on Thursday."

Panic crept into my sleep deprived mommy-body. Did I look that out of shape? "Do I need to come back then?"

"Have you done yoga before?"

Let's just say she was right. About the hard part. Super-instructor Libby was not being mean. It was the most difficult class I've ever attended. And it would have been even if I'd not been out of practice. A few times I was comforted with the knowledge that Libby is a nurse during the day.

Do you know what pregnancy and no exercise do to your core muscles and balance? I do. And I don't like it. Of the three positions that required me to stand on my hands or head, I succeeded with one. I tried another but fell. I didn't even attempt the third. Legs and arms were everywhere.

Oh, but I will return. The instructor and class are amazing. Maybe one day I can look svelte in a cute little yoga outfit.

I can dream, can't I?

No comments: