Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Yes, we can--and did!

It's a time of change in America. From the looks of the other elections, our nation is ready for one. From the reactions of other countries, the world is ready for one, too.

Charisma is a powerful thing. Obama moves people. He has been compared to great American leaders: Lincoln, King, Kennedy. I certainly hope he has a happier fate--and that we aren't disappointed in his ability to carry out his vision. I also hope that those who oppose him will "cross the aisle" and remember that we truly are the United States of America. I love that Americans logged off their Facebook pages and set down their Wiis long enough to vote. It's heartwarming to know that our citizens recognize that they do make a difference.

Still, I want to hand it to John McCain. I respect the man and Garrett has sung his praises for years. I thought his concession speech was lovely. I was pleased to see that for once he actually quelled the booers in the audience. It always bothered me that he seemed to encourage the idiots rather than stop them like Biden and Obama did. McCain is better than such juvenile behavior, and he proved it last night. Also, his speech seemed more heartfelt than most of his during the election. And was it me...or did he seem a little relieved? No doubt about it, he is a countryman to be honored.

Palin envoked a little pity as she stood up there with her "first dude" and her pretty eyes watered. She knows she'll be blamed for the defeat--even if the Republican party "Quayled" her to begin with. We've not seen the last of her, though, don't ya know. She's got spunk. I'd proudly nominate her to the party of daytime television. She'd make a swell talk show host.

I'm so proud to be an American. I'm proud of our candidates and the diversity they represent. Lastly, I'm proud that we live in a nation where when the people speak...they are heard.