Thursday, November 6, 2008

9 weeks old

Tuesday, November 4 was historic because of the presidential election.

It was also Max's 2 month check up...with vaccinations.

Halloween was over, but I think they had us in the haunted house section of the practice. Screams and wails of terrified children in pain filled the halls and crept under the closed door. The sounds seemed to stress out Max because he whimpered. The little crease between his eyes deepened with worry. Eventually, the screeching kiddos calmed down or left the building.

And the pediatrician came into our room.

She definitely likes children, and they like her back. She bragged on him and examined him. (Apparently, he's advanced for his age and is at a 4 month level developmentally in several areas. Not that I'm bragging or anything....)The first vaccination was some sort of red liquid, which Max lapped up in no time. The shots were next. The doctor stabbed Max with the second of four shots before he registered the pain. He transformed from a drooling, cooing baby to a baby with a scrunched up face. He looked directly at me and cried. I felt like he was saying, "I thought I could trust you...you're supposed to keep me from being hurt...waaaah." As I cuddled him, I wanted to cry right along with him and didn't care that the blood from his shots smeared my shirt.

Before long, he was much happier. Few side effects occurred. A little fussy. A little warm. He didn't sleep too well that night.

We think he's okay, though. 'Cause last night he slept for 8 hours straight. Which means we did, too.

No comments: