Saturday, March 15, 2008

March 15, 2008

We've needed a dvd player for Jersey. Garrett bought a Play Station 3--which has Blue Ray technology on the dvd player and, of course, gaming capabilities.

He's been playing for several hours. We went by Blockbuster today and rented the game Lair. It's kind of fun. The graphics are so realistic.

You may think I'm slow on catching up with the last couple of decades. I am. Not counting a bowling game of Wii at our friends' house, I've not played anything really since Atari and early Nintendo. I rarely got to play often because the games were in my brother's room and he had an aversion to his little sister playing Pitfall and Mario Brothers around him. I have players' anxiety.

Okay. So I'm not very good. I get bored. The problem I've always had with games was once you get to a certain point, you just don't know what the game wants you to do. For example, the game has us riding a dragon (yeah, cool, right?) and fighting against these bad guys who also have dragons. We go through the training rings fine. Then we blow up the ships that have catapults blasting the city. Then our fire breathing dragon even destroys the bad guys on dragons. Finally, we get to the general. Neither Garrett nor I have any idea how to kill him.

Is that even what we're supposed to do? Seriously, at this point, I'm so thrilled that I've figured out what many of the buttons can do that I feel like I should get some courtesy points for effort. C'mon, I've come a long way from Atari with its joystick and bright red button.

No such luck. Neither of us knows what the point is with the general. Garrett is still trying, though.



What we look forward to playing is Guitar Hero. Garrett wants it, too, so I think that may be a birthday present.



Another game that looked way fun was Star Sing or something like that. And I saw a similar American Idol game. Both come bundled with microphones and you go at it karaoke style. How fun would that be to sing and have Simon say, "That was bloody awful" or "That was brilliant. It was the best performance in the competition tonight"?



'Cuz that's what's gonna happen.

No comments: